Case Study: How a Self-Published Author and Blogger Negotiated a Six-Figure Traditional Book Deal

Buy mobile phone number list from your targeted country.
Jannat12

Case Study: How a Self-Published Author and Blogger Negotiated a Six-Figure Traditional Book Deal

Post by Jannat12 »

I discovered Torre DeRoche’s fun and exciting blog a few years back, when she was in the process of self-publishing her book, Love with a Chance of Drowning. Since then, Torre has taken the international publishing world by storm. Shortly after she self-published her book, Torre was “discovered” by film producers and publishers via social media, and negotiated lucrative book deals with Hyperion (in North America) and Penguin (in Australia). A film adaptation of her story is also in the works. I’m delighted to report that her book is one of the most fun, inspiring memoirs I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Pick it up today, and enjoy the ride. Today, Torre joins us here for a Copyblogger Case Study, to share her story of love, independent content production, adventure, and fear … What’s your website, and what do you write about? My website is FearfulAdventurer.com. The name says it all: it’s about fear and adventure, but not just travel or sporting adventures; I also cover topics like writing, pursuing dreams, or falling in love.

In other words, anything Phone Number List that’s simultaneously exciting and terrifying. Through honest, irreverent, and occasionally cheeky storytelling, I discuss the emotion of fear, hoping to coax readers towards the daring leaps that inspire them. I have the same theme in my book Love with a Chance of Drowning, which is my own story of facing fears to follow my heart. Who are your readers and how do you serve them? Was there a pressing problem you were trying to solve? I used to believe that adventurers were a rare breed of super-humans made up from titanium bones and veins pumping with Viking blood. I avoided adventure because of this false assumption, believing that I wasn’t born with the brawny, invincible DNA that’s required for gutsy pursuits. Through chance encounters, I was offered the opportunity to sail the Pacific on a leaky boat for two years, and, despite my morbid fear of deep water, I jumped aboard (love can make you do crazy things!). I hid my fear like a dirty little secret until I began to realize that everyone out there sailing the world is afraid! Turns out, even adventurers are not fearless.

Through my blog and my memoir, I want to take the shame out of fear and call bluff on those claiming to be fearless. My audience is anyone who has ambitions that are bigger than their comfort zone, people who want inspiration, or those seeking reassurance with their fears. “No fear,” is a pipe dream developed by a sporting company to sell wares to daredevils, but the only people who truly have no fear are dead. What kinds of content are most important to your business? Blog? Email list? Podcast? My story of facing my own fears is the most important piece of content in my business, captured in my memoir Love with a Chance of Drowning. My blog is my second most important vehicle for reaching readers. What resources or tools did you find most helpful when you were getting started? This reply will probably sound like it should be accompanied by Tibetan singing bowls, Om chants, and the smell of burning incense, but here goes … My intuition is always my number one resource when I’m getting started with anything. I could tell you that my WordPress theme, Twitter, and Facebook were helpful, that reading countless books and websites on blogging and publishing were valuable, or that Jenny Blake’s amazing book marketing spreadsheet offered direction, but these tools and resources were all secondary to my intuition.